Team Hope Shoebox Appeal 2018
* * * Deadline extended until Fri 16th November 2018 * * *
This year, why not share your Christmas with a child living on the margins of society,
among the poorest children in the world ?
– many of whose families have to survive on less than €1 a day
We are once again supporting the Team Hope Christmas Shoebox Appeal in school and we hope that every family will participate by bringing in a filled and wrapped shoebox to give to children in the world far less fortunate than any of us. We are also accepting shoeboxes from anyone in the wider community who wants to drop one in to the school.
Leaflets have been sent home with all pupils (further copies available from the school office) and we invite you to fill up a shoebox with simple Christmas gifts and return it to school any time between now and Friday 16th November 2018. The filled shoeboxes are then collected from the school by the volunteers from TeamHope. These volunteers work hard to check that all Christmas Shoeboxes meet with customs and safety requirements, they seal them and send them on their way by truck or shipping container and then their international partners will deliver your shoebox right into a child’s hands – in hospitals, schools, shelters, churches, orphanages, community centres, mountain villages and family homes. In the coming days the class teachers will be talking to the pupils about the work of Team Hope, explaining how the shoebox appeal works and showing them a video of where their shoeboxes go.
5 simple steps to follow
1. Grab a Shoe box (Or a plastic container would be great!) Wrap the box and lid separately with Christmas paper
2. Print Label (or use boy/girl sticker from leaflet) and choose who you want to give your Christmas Shoebox to and what age.
3. Fill the box. Get as creative as you like and have some fun with this ! – You can use our 4 W’s as a rough guide
4. Close the box. Include €4 in your leaflet envelope either on top of the gifts or taped to the inside of the lid. To make it easier you can donate your €4 on our secure on-line site.
With elastic band – please don’t seal with tape as we need to check contents to comply with regulations.
5. Drop it off in school anytime between now and 9th November.
What can I put in my box?
Please put in a selection of small gifts from the options below: (but out of respect for the children we ask that all items be new, or good as new)
Follow the 4W guidelines!
TO WRITE – Items for school – like a pen, pencil, copy book, paper, colouring book, felt pens, sharpener, eraser, solar calculator.
TO WASH – Some hygiene items – toothbrush and toothpaste, soap (wrapped please), facecloth, hairbrush, comb.
TO WEAR – Small clothing items – a hat, scarf, gloves, socks or underwear
WOW ! – A treat – sunglasses, game, small Irish gift, a photo of yourself, sweets (must be in date until at least March 2018), make up, a small musical instrument, toys like a doll, a car, cuddly toy, skipping rope, yo-yo, a finger puppet… even a ball is fantastic.
Here are a few photos of previous Shoe Box Collections at St Francis NS.