Junior and Senior Infants:
1st and 2nd class
3rd and 4th class
5th and 6th class
Booklet for parents of pupils with Sensory Processing Difficulties:
Booklets for parents of pupils with motor skills difficulties:
Special Education Teaching
We hope you all had a lovely Easter and that the Easter Bunny came with plenty of goodies. We hope you are keeping safe and well.
Welcome back to Ms. Reynolds from her maternity leave and huge congratulations on her wedding! We are delighted to have her back as part of our SET team again : )
We hope to see you all soon and miss everyone very much. Please find some links below that you may find useful in relation to anxiety in children about Covid -19. Please do not hesitate to contact any the SET team with any queries you may have.
Stay safe and look after each other,
Below are the links to some content from NCSE which may be of use to parents and guardians during our school closure. These are practical activities which can be used at home with your child.
The Department of Education and Skills NEPS psychologists have developed advice for young people to manage and stay well when schools are closed. This can be viewed in the downloads section.
We hope that you are all keeping safe and well and look forward to seeing you when normal school hours resume.
St Francis National School has a strong tradition of supporting students with special educational needs.
Together with all staff, the Special Education Teaching (SET) team endeavour to support children with Special Education Needs (SEN) to reach their full potential academically, socially and personally within an inclusive school environment. In keeping with the ethos in our school we aim to provide an inclusive education for all pupils.
Please go to the Policy section of our website for our SEN Policy which gives full details on all aspects of our SEN provision in our school.
How is teaching support delivered?
Specialised instruction and differentiated teaching methods are used by teachers to support student learning. Special focus is given to the areas of Literacy, Numeracy, I.T. and Social Skills.
This targeted, individualised teaching support and intervention is offered in a number of ways:
• Withdrawal to small group Learning Support Classes.
• Withdrawal to a One-to-One Class setting in consultation with student and parent/guardian.
• Team-teaching support is an ‘in-class’ support for students where the teacher supports them within the mainstream setting.
At St Francis National School we use a variety of programmes to support pupils with Special Educational Needs (SEN). These programmes include:
- Reading Recovery: please see Reading Recovery page for further details.
- Social Skills programme
- Touch Typing
- SMART Moves: promotes physical skills development, provides a range of activities that can be integrated with ease into both the classroom and home life to help improve co-ordination and concentration levels in children with learning difficulties, in particular Dyspraxia/DCD and sensory issues.
- Regulation Stations (The Braincalm Program). The Brain Calm Program activities work to help smooth out ’ traffic jams’ in the brain and help to smooth the ‘bridge’ between the left and right sides of the brain.