National Council for Curriculum and Assessment
As a parent you play a key role in your child’s education. The NCCA has developed a number of resources to help you to support your child’s learning in primary school. Many of these are available in various languages. Take a look at the resources for your child’s class.
From First Class onwards, at the end of every year, children complete standardised tests. The results are included on the child’s end of year report. Where there is concern regarding a child’s behaviour or progress, consideration will be given to diagnostic testing. Please click on this link to see our assessments policy.
The Primary School Curriculum
The Primary School Curriculum was developed by the NCCA and launched in 1999. The issue of curriculum overload resulted in the re-presentation of materials for a number of subjects.
Dealing with bullying Bullying
Relationships and Sexuality Education (RSE)
RSE aims to provide opportunities for children and young people to learn about relationships and sexuality in ways that help them think and act in a moral, caring and responsible way. In the school setting, RSE is part of a wider programme of Social, Personal and Health Education. More information on RSE can be found at these links:
- An Introduction to Relationships and Sexuality Education for Parents – RSE-Growing forward Together
- Busy Bodies Adolescent Development Programme provides information on the physical and emotional changes that children may experience during puberty, to reassure them that puberty is a normal part of growing up. Busy Bodies is a useful resource to help support both teachers and parents in providing information on puberty to children aged between 10 and 14.
Interesting article on How to Improve your Child’d Reading in 10 minutes per day.
School Days – Primary School Homework.
From Mummy Pages
There are lots of wonderfully useful websites that can help your child learn right through from primary school to secondary school. Here is a list of some of the best educational sites around:
- scoilnet (www.scoilnet.ie) is a useful portal featuring educational information and links to other educational sites for every school topic imaginable, from Irish to history, spelling to geography. There are lots of interactive quizzes, printable worksheets and slides which aim to make learning fun and informative.
- Primary science (www.primaryscience.ie) features lots of printibles, activities and games designed to show kids the importance of science.
- Me and my body (www.bdi.ie/mambo) Kids can learn about how the human body works on this site.
- Ask about Ireland (www.askaboutireland.ie) is a great website for both primary and secondary schools which has lots of interactive and fun activities on subjects such as Irish, history, geography and science.
- skoool (www.skoool.ie) is a really useful website for students undertaking both the Junior and Leaving Certificate exams, It features lots of useful study and homework tips and notes and tips on all the subjects. It also has helpful advice for parents.