As the new school year draws closer, your child will likely begin to feel a mix of excitement and nerves as they begin to look forward to this new chapter of their lives.
Starting school is a big step for both parents and children and so to help with that transition we have provided some tips, hints and fun activities to hopefully help with transition preparations.
We shall be holding an Information Evening for parents of new Junior Infants on Wednesday 17th May at 7pm in the School Hall. Parents will have the opportunity to meet the Principal, Mrs Lawless, the Junior Infant Class Teachers, Miss Treadwell and Miss Kellegher, and representatives from our Parents’ Association.
We shall also be holding an Open Session for the new Junior Infants in school on Friday 26th May from 1-2pm. This will be an opportunity for the children to play in the classroom setting, and for parents to join the other new parents, and representative from our PA for a cup of coffee and a chat, prior to the children starting school in August.
We intend to invite half the class in to school on the first day of term and the other half in on the second day then the whole class will be in from the third day of term. This will enable the class teachers to get to know your children and it will hopefully be less daunting for them to be in a smaller group on their first day. For the two weeks of term Junior infants will finish at 12 midday, after which they will finish at 1:40 pm.
Tha calendar for the new school year, and the start date of the new school term at the end of August is still to be finalised but we hope to have it soon and will post it on this page.
Details of the school Uniform can be found here: School Uniform
If you have not already done so, please consider joining our school Facebook page.
We look forward to getting to know you and your child and to working with you.
Transition to Primary School – NCCA Links
Information from the NCCA on Helping Your Child in Junior Infants.
Information from NCCA on the “Aistear” programme Learning and Developing Through Play Tip Sheet for parents of Young Children.
School Documents for Junior Infant Parents:
- Calendar 22-23
- Junior Infant Resource List 2022/23
- Parent Information 2022 (Available soon) Parent Information 2021
BEFORE YOUR CHILD STARTS SCHOOL
It would help greatly if your child is able to:
- Button and unbutton a coat and hang it up.
- Use the toilet without help and manage pants and buttons.
- Know how to flush the toilet and wash hands, without having to be told.
- Use a tissue when necessary.
- Share toys and playthings with others and ‘take turns’.
- Tidy up and put away playthings.
- Remain contentedly for a few hours in the home of a relation, friend or neighbour. If children have had this experience, then separation from parents when they start school will not cause any great anxiety.
- Manage their own shoes. Velcro is the best option for this.
- Open and close his/her own lunchbox.
- Undress and change themselves in the unlikely event of a toileting accident.
Please ensure that all items of school uniform, lunch boxes and bottles are labelled. The children will need a schoolbag big enough to fit an A4 folder, lunch box and drinks bottle. The children will be provided with pencils and crayons in school, they do not need a pencil case.
Social skills are very important. Our goal is to foster the development of good interpersonal and mixing skills. We place a high value on good manners and expect all children to be able to know when to use “Please,” “Thank you,” “Excuse me,” “I’m sorry,” “Hello,” “Good morning,” “Goodbye” etc.
GETTING READY FOR LEARNING