Parent Nominees for Board of Management
Notice to All Parents – 4th November 2019
1. The outgoing patron’s representative on the Board of Management of St. Francis NS, Mr. Joe Corcoran is hereby writing to all parents of children who are enrolled and have commenced attendance at this school (i.e. each household) to establish their willingness to stand for nomination and election as parent nominee on the board of management.
2. The patron’s representative shall, for those parents who indicate their willingness to stand for nomination and election, seek their consent for the circulation of their name and the classes attended by their children to each household. The Data Protection Acts require that the patron’s representative must receive the prior permission of each parent for the circulation of such personal information to other parents of children who are enrolled and have commenced attendance in the school.
3. The patron’s representative shall then compile a list of all parents who have given their consent for nomination and election as parent nominee which may contain the classes attended by their children where consent is given. The list shall then be circulated to each household, inviting parents of children who are enrolled and have commenced attendance in the school to nominate candidates from this list for election to the board of management.
4. Each parent may make one nomination for the fathers’ panel and one for the mothers’ panel. Nominations shall be forwarded to the patron’s representative in order that a list may be drawn up of the ten persons in receipt of the highest number of nominations for each panel. In the event of a tie for the tenth position, this number may be increased by the appropriate amount to accommodate those tied at the tenth position.
5. If there is only one nominee for either panel, the nominee(s) shall be deemed to be elected.
6. If more than one nomination is received for either of the panels, a secret ballot shall be held and parents of children who are enrolled and have commenced attendance at the school may vote for those nominees who have confirmed their willingness (verified by the patron’s representative) to become members of the Board.
7. Those accepting nomination should be encouraged to furnish a short personal profile for inclusion on the ballot paper which may include an address and telephone number. The requirements of the Data Protection Acts require that the patron’s representative must seek permission for the circulation of such personal information from those accepting nomination.
8. Separate ballot papers should be used for the election of one mother and one father. Each parent voting shall have one, non-transferable vote for each panel. The patron’s representative should make arrangements to distribute and collect the ballot papers from those eligible to vote and to nominate a person of standing as Returning Officer. The notification of the ballot should also indicate the date, time and place for the counting of the ballot.
9. The votes shall be counted in public.
10. The election shall be determined on a plurality of votes (i.e. the first past the post system).
11. In the event of a tied vote between nominees, the election of the nominee(s) shall be determined by the drawing of lots.
12. The result of the ballot shall be notified to the parents and to the patron’s representative.
13. The voting returns from the ballot may be retained for the purposes of co-option in order to fill vacancies occurring during the life of the Board where it is decided, having consulted the parents’ association, not to have a by-election or further by-election as appropriate.
14. Following the conclusion of the above process, the patron’s representative shall inform the patron that the parent nominees have been selected.